Geoff joined leaders from around the world for a week devoted to the major issues affecting the ocean. Organised by the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation, the Government of Monaco and their partners: the Oceanographic Institute of Monaco, the Scientific Centre of Monaco and the Yacht Club of Monaco.
Scientists, experts, NGOs and representatives of civil society came together to discuss the key issue of ocean protection. Topics included innovation, research and development of the blue economy as well as key challenges such as plastic pollution and ways to develop a sustainable ocean economy.
Monaco Ocean Week kicked off with the 10th Meeting of the Monaco Blue Initiative, with a focus on Marine Protected Areas and included presentations by:
- Brune Poirson, French Secretary of State to the Minister for the Ecological and Inclusive Transition
- Karmenu Vella, European Commissioner for the Environment, Maritime Affairs and Fisheries
- Chuanlin Huo, Deputy Director General of the Department of Marine Ecology and Environment, Ministry of Ecology and Environment of the People’s Republic of China
- H.E. José Apolinario, Portuguese Secretary of State for Fisheries
- François Simard, on behalf of Inger Andersen, Director-General of the IUCN